Heritage Museum Yuletide Cinemaland: Is It Worth It?
Is Yuletide Cinema at Heritage Square Museum worth it? Our family checked it out and shares our review here!
What is Yuletide Cinemaland at Heritage Square Museum?
Yuletide Cinemaland at Heritage Square Museum is an event put on by Street Food Cinema. Heritage Square Museum is composed of Victorian-Era homes in the heart of Los Angeles. The Cinemaland event combines a holiday-themed movie-going experience in the middle of Heritage Square.
Movie screenings take place on the lawn with chairs provided by Street Food Cinema. There are food trucks, carolers, a bar for age 21 and over, and guided tours of the museum homes. The homes are decorated in holiday decor.
Each Yuletide Cinemaland event date has a specific movie that will be aired. The movie itself is aired at 6 p.m. and again at 8 p.m.
Is Yuletide Worth it?
Yes! My entire family absolutely loved it! We went on a Sunday and it definitely made us feel like we had enjoyed the entire weekend up to the very last drop. The kids were even asking us when we could return to see the Heritage Square homes in the daylight.
We were initially caught off guard by the parking situation (see below) and the walk to get there, but it was still well worth the entertainment.
If you do wind up going with kids, be sure you check out which movie is playing first. “Love Actually” is one of the movies scheduled for a future date. This movie definitely has some very inappropriate parts for kids.
Discount Tickets to Yuletide
Grab your discount tickets through our Goldstar affiliate link here!
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW?
Before you leave home:
- DON’T bring your own chairs. They will provide them for you. The chairs can only be a specific height anyway.
- Bring a blanket…even if you don’t think you will be cold. You’ll read why in a bit.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged for:
- Your tickets to be scanned (if you didn’t print them out).
- Screenshot your tickets. I always do this just in case my cell reception isn’t great when I try to pull my tickets up at an event.
- Bring cash:
- You will need it for parking.
- You might need cash to purchase food from some of the food trucks. We paid with a card for pizza, so some trucks definitely take cards.
- Avoid the portable toilets later. There are only portable toilets at the event. Just an FYI.
- The event is dog-friendly. You will see plenty of dogs walking around wearing cute holiday sweaters. Dogs are not allowed on the indoor home tours. I personally loved it. However, you should avoid this event if you are scared of dogs.
- Parking is at the nearby Metro station. Metro parking costs $8 and must be paid in cash. There was also VIP parking on site, but I am unsure of the cost. Note: If your parking ticket includes the price of parking, the attendant will ask to see your ticket for proof of parking payment.
- Wear your walking shoes. You have to walk from the Metro lot to Heritage Square.The walk from the station to the entrance is fairly quick, but there is an extensive dirt road you have to walk through to get to the actual Heritage Square. Don’t worry, there are a couple of spots along the way to stop and take pictures.
When you arrive…
- Immediately save your chairs by laying blankets across the chairs you want to reserve. Most people did this and the staff didn’t seem to have a problem with it.
- Go to the museums for some quick guided tours. Guided tours are available at designated times throughout the event. We started on the first tours- 5:15 p.m.- to avoid the crowds. Gates open at 5 p.m., but the first movie showing does not take place until 6 p.m. The museum homes are decorated for the holidays.
- Order your food before you settle in for the movie. Some food trucks take 20 minutes to prepare an order. Ask when you order and before paying so you don’t miss out on the movie.
- If can’t find a chair, ask a staff member.
- Address: Heritage Square Museum: 3800 Homer Street, Los Angeles, California 90031-1530
- Dates: Yuletide Street Cinema ends December 23, 2023.
- Museum tour rules: No photography or pets aloud inside the museum homes.
FIND MORE IDEAS FOR FAMILY FUN THIS TIME OF YEAR:
Winter Fest OC: 5 Tips to Maximize Your Fun!
Disney on Ice Road Trip Adventures GIVEAWAY!